Having an affair with the street food is the best week end routine. The Multi-spice flavors of foods like Pav bhaji, Vada pav, Bhel puri makes your mouth watery. Most of the street side stalls keep open until wee hours.
Pav bhaji is tangy, sour and spicy with lemon extract. Pav bhaji is a dish of fluffy bread slices smeared with butter and mixed vegetable gravy.
PREP TIME 20 mins – COOK TIME 40 mins – TOTAL TIME 1 hour
Pav bhaji recipe – a popular Mumbai street food
Recipe type: Snack
Cuisine: Mumbai street food, Indian
Yield: 4 Servings
For pressure cooking vegetables:
Potatoes – 2 small or 1 ½ cups roughly chopped
Cauliflower – ½ cup, cut into big florets
Carrots – ½ cup, cut into big pieces
Green peas – ½ cup
Water – ¾ cup
Salt – to taste
Butter – 1 tablespoon + 3 tablespoons
Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
Garlic paste or freshly grated – 1 tablespoon
Onion – ¾ cup, finely chopped
Salt – to taste
Capsicum or green bell pepper – ½ cup, finely chopped
Tomatoes – 2 ½ cups, finely chopped
Pav bhaji masala – 1 ½ tablespoons
Red chili powder – 1 tablespoon
Water – 1 to 1 ½ cups
Cilantro or coriander leaves – 2-3 tablespoons, finely chopped
For tosting pav/buns:
Ladi pav – 8-10
Butter or butter spread – 1 tablespoon
Onion – ½ cup, finely chopped
Lemon – 1, cut into wedges
Butter – as needed, to add on top of the bhaji
- Take chopped potatoes, carrots, cauliflower and green peas in the pressure cooker.
- Add salt and ¾ cups of water. Mix it. It looks like there is not much water in it. But that is ok, while cooking water leaves its own water and consistency will be fine. if added too much water then it will be too watery.
- Cover the cooker with lid, put the weight on. Turn the heat on medium. Let it cook for 3-4 whistles. While it is cooking, chop other ingredients for bhaji. Let the pressure go down by itself. Then open the lid.
- Mash it using potato masher.
- Don’t make it like a puree, it should be little chunky. Keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle a bit.
- Then add garlic paste, cook for a minute. Or till the raw smell of garlic goes away.
- Then add chopped onions. Sprinkle some salt. Cook till onions are light brown in color.
- Add chopped capsicum and mix. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Capsicum will get soften.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Mix well and cook.
- Tomatoes will get soft and juicy. Let all the water gets evaporated. Cook till it becomes chunky yet thick paste.
- Add pav bhaji masala and red chili powder. Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Then add prepared mashed veggies. Mix well.
- Add water. Mix well. Adjust the water quantity as per your liking consistency. Let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter. Cover the pan and let the butter gets melt.
- Once butter is almost melted (about in 2 minutes), open the lid. Stir it well.
- Then again add 1 tablespoon of butter, cover and let it melt.
- Once melted, stir well so everything gets incorporated well. Again add last tablespoon of butter and repeat the same process. This makes really smooth and buttery.
- Turn off the stove. Lastly add chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix well and keep it covered.
- Now to toast the buns, Cut into half horizontally. Spread the butter on both the sides using butter knife.
- heat the pan on medium heat. Once hot place the butter side facing down on the pan.
- Once gets golden brown from one side, turn it around the toast other side. Other sides (meaning the top side) should be very lightly toasted. Remove it to a platter. and repeat for rest of the pav.
- Now served the warm bhaji on the plate with dollop of butter on top. On side serve some chopped onions, lemon wedges and pav.