Course : Snacks
Cuisine : Indian – Prep Time : 45 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes – Total Time : 1 hour 5 minutes – Servings : 2 to 3
for the aloo tikki: (makes 5 to 6 aloo tikkis)
3 medium sized potatoes Or 300 grams potatoes
½ teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder Or 1 to 2 green chilies finely chopped
½ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
¼ teaspoon dry ginger powder (saunth) Or ¼ teaspoon minced ginger
¼ teaspoon chaat masala powder
1.5 to 2 tablespoon corn starch or rice flour or arrowroot flour or add as required
2 to 3 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
2 tablespoon oil for frying the tikkis or as required
salt as required
for the rotis: ((makes 4 to 5 rotis)
1 cup whole wheat flour (atta)
1 teaspoon oil
water as required
salt as required
for the sweet raita:
1 cup fresh curd whisked (yogurt or dahi)
⅔ to ¾ tablespoon sugar or add as required for more sweetness
½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
¼ teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder
¼ teaspoon chaat masala or as required
2 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
for the frankie stuffings:
1 small to medium onion, thinly sliced
1 medium carrot, grated (you can also add your choice of veggies)
2 to 3 pinches of salt for the onions
preparing the aloo tikki:
1. steam potatoes in a steamer, electric cooker or pressure cooker. the potatoes have to be completely cooked.
2. when the potatoes are still warm or cooled down, peel and grate them in a bowl.
3. add kashmiri red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, dry ginger powder or minced ginger, corn starch,
chaat masala and salt. instead of corn starch, you can also add bread pulp (soaked and squeezed bread slices), rice
flour or arrowroot flour. a point to remember is that when you add corn starch, the potato has to be cooled down
completely. otherwise the mixture becomes sticky, if corn starch is added to hot or warm potatoes.
4. mix everything well.
5. divide the mixture into small or medium shaped patties. you can apply some oil on your palms when making the
patties or tikkis.
6. heat 2 tbsp oil till its medium hot in a tava or a shallow frying pan. gently place the aloo tikkis and pan fry them.
7. when one side of tikki becomes golden and crisp, turn over and fry the other side of tikki.
8. gently flip for a couple of times till the aloo tikkis are golden and crisp evenly.
9. once done, then drain the aloo tikkis on paper towels to remove excess oil. pan fry all the tikkis this way and keep
preparing the rotis:
1. when the potatoes are cooking, need 1 cup of whole wheat flour with oil, salt and water to a smooth dough. cover
and keep aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
2. take medium sized balls from the dough and roll to a thin chapati on a lightly dusted rolling board.
3. place a a tava/griddle inverted on the stove top. its easier to lift thin rotis on an inverted tava. you can also cook the
rotis the way you cook them regularly on a tava.
4. gently place the rolled thin chapati on the hot tava. when you see small blisters and bubbles appearing, flip and cook
the other side. you can flip a couple of times, till the roti is cooked well. however, don’t over do since the rotis are
thin and they be will become crisp like papads, if you do extra roasting.
5. apply some oil if you want. make rotis this way and stack them up in a roti basket. cover and keep aside.
preparing the other stuffings and raita:
1. in another bowl, add some salt to sliced onions. mix and keep covered for 15 to 20 minutes. mixing salt reduces the
pungency of the onions.
2. prep by grating carrots and keep aside.
3. whisk or beat the curd/yogurt till smooth. add roasted cumin powder, red chili powder, chaat masala, salt & sugar,
coriander leaves in the whisked curd. mix well and refrigerate.
assembling aloo tikki frankie:
1. in a plate, place one roti. place two tikkis in the center of the roti.
2. top the tikkis with the grated carrots and sliced onions.
3. pour the sweet yogurt raita.
4. sprinkle some chaat masala on top.
5. bring together both the sides of the roti and secure with a tooth pick. prepare all frankies this way.
6. serve aloo tikki frankies immediately with the remaining yogurt raita
Despite being a foodie and enthusiast to share the favorite recipes, here i posted this. Guess, my tastebuds will forgive me now 😛
Source : Internet